Sunday 16 February 2014

Parit (not the drain)

I was born in Ipoh but neither the city nor Perak is my home town so I had very few reasons to travel to Perak. It was either a pass by to Penang or Lumut or Pangkor and sometimes Tg Malim for Yik Mun pau (steamed buns filled with delicious goodness like chicken and sweet coconut cream)

However in February last year fate had it that Perak and I would be so closely acquainted. We accepted admission for one half of my twin sons to attend MRSM Parit (IGCSE College). Parit is about a 2.5 hours drive from KL (at speed limit) but with my driving, at the non approval of my dear speed-compliant husband, we are always there much sooner (I won't say how much sooner just in case the police are reading this). Via the north bound PLUS highway you would exit Gopeng and from there, another 30 minutes on trunk roads to the small town of Parit. You could choose to pass through Bandar Seri Iskandar which is fast developing as there are education institutions like Petronas Technology University and a branch of UITM. 

Parit is a small town. One traffic light. One petrol station. A mini clock tower at its center and a few rows of shophouses, mainly moms and pops selling your everyday groceries. It's a town that feels like everybody knows everyone. So on weekends we visit, which is every other weekend *read often* we are almost desperate to find new spots to explore around Perak.

So far, we have explored Ipoh, Kuala Kangsar and gone as far as Penang during these weekends. But today particularly, we decided to stay around Parit and here's the story..

There are too few places to eat and so we played it safe and drove to Seri Iskandar for the familiar taste of Chicken Rice Shop (new outlet at the new Billion Mall). Thereafter, we decided to rent a room at the rest house back in Parit called Rumah Rehat Cempaka Sari. It is located by the wide, murky and very calm Sg Perak.

The room is basic. Bed is basic. TV is basic. Everything is basic but clean. I can't complain, it is RM70 per night (no day rates and check-in is fast). I can't say it is as clean outside. There is an indoor event hall and an outdoor event area facing the river. There are a few gazebos lined by the river but the path leading to them and the gazebo itself looks unkempt. You could see litters of food leftovers and plastic bags around. Cracked and broken concrete benches. Trash bins laying flat on the ground. Wild bushes and trees surrounding walkways. 

Typical Malaysia I must say. I am Malaysian so I think I have the right to criticize my country. We always make elaborate starts but never the same drive to see it through to the finish. The term 'hangat hangat tahi ayam' comes to mind. Maintenance is a concept that seems hard to grasp or never thought of when we begin a project. I am generalizing but this is so common I'm sure most of you agree.

Here are some pictures of the best scenes I could get. Deliberately did not take the ugly ones. Not worth the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment