Thursday 28 August 2014

Reliable is not boring

August marks my 17 years as an employee. Where I started my career, there were many who worked their whole life in the company and at that time, knowing of anyone who has worked 20 or 30 years made me go wow..that's a long time. But here I am now, 3 more years into my own 20 year mark :/

I didn't find the transition from school was hard. School was fun but I believe school always feels more fun after you leave it :P

Anyway, back to the topic today. Throughout my career I have probably had around 12 bosses (must have forgotten a few too when they really didn't make an impression..haha. we'll talk about bad bosses next time. I'm sure we've all had one). I want to talk about what I found common including for me as a leader today.

All bosses want reliable employees. By reliable I mean someone I can trust to deliver any task required, in good quality and on time. Someone who may not know 100% of everything but will ask and manage my expectations on timelines.

Opposite to this is someone whom cannot be trusted with deadlines. That I have to keep following up with and asking what is progress. Worst, someone who just keeps his or her head down until the work is overdue and come up with a million excuses why it wasn't done.

So you see, while being super intelligent, competent, innovative, proactive, high energy, diligent bla bla are qualities all bosses like to see, let's not forget the basic of just being plain old reliable. It creates trust and that believe me, is important to be happy at work. Trust is fundamental to empowerment and empowerment means freedom. Freedom means happiness.

So what's your reliability rating?

No comments:

Post a Comment