Saturday 22 March 2014

Spaghetti Carbonara

Since it's the weekend I thought I'd write about something different.

I enjoy good food. I am the kind that will not hesitate to try places where people recommend there's good food, no matter how far. I will plan for it and eventually try.

But I don't just love looking for good food. I also love making them.
Cooking and baking (besides shopping of course) is therapeutic for me. 
Unfortunately, as ChairWoman, I only get to do this on weekends. But that's ok. Weekdays I get good food from mom whose an even better cook! (Ya ya I saw your eyes go green with envy..)

And this is amongst my favorite dish to make simply because my boys love it so much and...it's pretty easy to whip.
I learned this recipe sometime ago watching a TV program hosted by Chef Nik 
Yes the cute one (..but of course. Important motivation. Haha)
If I recall, his father is Italian and this is his Dad's recipe.

This picture could be better but my children were already pestering me to serve. No time for professional photography. That's how good it is! LOL.


Ingredients:

1/3 Pasta of the normal pack (best with Fettucine, Spaghetti or Penne)

Beef bacon (ones with some fat on the side)

Quarter bulb of a large yellow onion

A teaspoon of crushed garlic

1 bay leaf

Cooking Cream
(depends how much gravy and creamy you want it to be but I use about 500 ml)

3 tablespoons grated Parmesan

1 egg yolk

Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste


Steps:

1. Boil pasta with a bit of salted butter. El dente. Drain. You don't want mushy pasta in cream sauce (ugh!)

2. Put olive oil in a pan. Put in bay leaf and beef bacon. Saute till brown and slightly crisp at the edges. Add yellow onion till soft.

3. Add garlic. Stir till fragrant

4. Add cream. Medium fire and let simmer

5. Add salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste

6. Add pasta and mix

7. Now here's the difficult part. Add lightly beaten egg yolk and stir quickly over slow fire (avoid the sauce from curdling). Take pan off fire and serve


Absolute awesome and easy recipe.

Don't believe me? Ask this boy.





No comments:

Post a Comment